Search This Blog

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Personal and Professional Development Series: The Importance of Finding a Mentor!



In the past week, I have heard the term “mentor” about 200 times. That’s only a slight exaggeration. Ironically, in my career, I can only think of only one person that I would have considered a mentor. Maybe two.  It seems that I am not alone in my experience. While I was researching this topic, only a handful of my associates have had an influential mentor.

What is a Mentor? And Why Should You Have One?
 By definition, a mentor is a trusted friend or advisor. Based on that definition- why wouldn’t you want one?  By adding the word “professional” or “business” before mentor, and you have a trusted advisor helping you to navigate your career. Sweet! Sign me up!

Dr. Daniel R. Tobin wrote an article explaining the differences between a mentor and a coach. Tobin said that a mentor “acts as your counselor, providing advice on career paths, development opportunities, and an overview of what it takes to become a leader in the company.” A coach is more of a tutor.  
 Over time, your mentor will understand you, your wants, needs and desires for your career and will help you overcome any obstacles in your way- even when you are your own biggest obstacle.  That in and of itself can be a huge help, but ideally, your mentor will not only guide you, but also will be able to open doors for you.  That’s all great, but how do you find one?

Networking, Networking, Networking:
 According to Lisa Quast, author and Forbes contributor, you can think creatively when seeking a mentor. You can find mentors by networking and brainstorming among “business and women’s associations in your area, non-profit organizations, your college or university, within your family, church groups, even community groups such as business chambers of commerce.” If you follow a networking strategy, you will also learn more about the people you interact with.  You’ll find out they can help you and vice versa.

 I am not sure you always know exactly where your mentor will come from, but following the “Six Degrees of Separation” theory, you are probably only a degree or two separated from yours!  

Mentor Relationships
Not all mentor relationships are structured the same way. Some people have formal mentoring agreements – while others don’t.  Meetings can take place over lunch or coffee, or in a more formal setting.  Whichever you prefer, mentoring should be considered a long-term activity whether formal or not. With so many benefits and wisdom to gain from someone who has “been there and done that,” we should greet each new introduction as a chance to learn more.
If we embrace that philosophy, we will emerge from the process a little smarter and wiser, whether we have found the right mentor yet or not.

It’s been a long time since I have worked with someone who would be willing to be a mentor. While I finish school and look for next steps, I will continue to attend professional networking events and other events that will broaden my horizons.

 I do have a few thoughts about people who could be my potential mentors.

My criteria:
·         I like them as people.
·         I admire them professionally.
·         I can talk to them on a personal level (crucial for mentoring).
·         I believe in their counsel.
·         They would be willing to add me into their schedule every month/6-weeks.  (This is harder than you think!)


So for now- I am working on it. I WILL work on this mentorship thing! It’s a little tricky in some respects because I know that I limit what I share with people on a professional level. I don’t want to admit my insecurities, or even share my hopes and dreams with just anyone. Maybe that’s just yet another reason that I need to find a mentor… finding someone who can help you realize those dreams is invaluable.  
Perhaps it’s so important that I had to hear it 200 times.

Do have a mentorship story to share?  I’d love to hear from you!
Feel free to email me directly at nvalady@gmail.com .

1 comment:

  1. Managing a business can be daunting. There are a lot of things to plan and consider before you open your doors to the public, so to speak. So having a mentor is really helpful, because they can guide you all throughout the process and explain all the things you need to understand, with regard to financials and legal matters. And one of the best ways to find a good and trusted mentor is through networking. Anyway, thanks for sharing your informative opinion. Cheers!

    Ella Williams @ BNI London

    ReplyDelete