Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The New Adventures of Old Tracy

As I was driving home this evening, I felt just like the tv show, "The New Adventures of Old Christine," inserting my name, of course. I was coming home from my undergrad "Writing for the Media" class, where I am one of  two adult students in a class of approx thirty students. I was very interested to learn more about my classmates and discovered that there are several talented aspiring writers.

So, in the face of "young talent" how does a middle aged woman relate? Relating is easy. The question is can I just appreciate them without feeling insecure?  I think so, at least for the context of my class.

It's interesting to think of the advantages of both ends of the age spectrum.

Pros of Being Older: 

  • Hopefully, we are older and wiser and have learned lessons from challenges of life. 
  • We have had more "hands on" job experiences. We've already established ourselves as responsible.
  • Our children are older, our time commitments minimal. Though, I have to admit, the dog is a lot like a child. 

Pros of Being Younger: 

  • When you are younger, you are fearless! You are less concerned with failure. 
  • Willing to try things just for fun.
  • Less concerned about "What's in it for me?" in the short term. For example- less worried about taking a lower paying job just to get your foot in the door. 
So what's next for the new adventure for Old Tracy? I am looking to gain some experience by writing this blog, some articles on divorced mom.com and now maybe a few marketing /technology pieces. It's intimidating since that's not what I do during the day. I may make my first money ( albeit nominal) for writing soon.  Keep your fingers crossed for me! Say a prayer! 

I could use a little divine blessing over my life! 

What challenges are you tackling now? @nvalady1



No comments:

Post a Comment