Search This Blog

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Quote of the Day: "Stop Dating Un-Dateable Guys"

Last night I had a mom and daughter date with my 18 year old daughter. This happens periodically when neither of us have plans. It was a nice, low-key evening, where we ran a few errands and had dinner together. Over our Chipotle bowls, we talked about her Valentine's Day plans and my non-plans!

I wrote an article last week for Divorcedmoms.com about beating the blues on Valentine's day. 10-ways-to-beat-the-vday-blues   I am not feeling pouty, but I am pretty certain that I don't have anything Valentine's related to look forward to. I told her that it is hard dating someone who is away more than he is home.  She promptly informed me that we weren't dating. I don't think THAT's true, but she has a point.

Then she told me that I need to stop dating men who are un-dateable! While it sounds a little harsh, there is some truth and wisdom in that. Her statement could cover a multitude reasons, but she was making a direct reference to my last boy friend. He was charming, successful, treated me well, but a perpetual bachelor and commitment-phobe.

So, leave it to me. Only I could find another guy that might be even harder to date. He's a pilot. Sexy, right? Anyway, it's hard to date someone or start a relationship with someone who is away a week or 2 at a time. My expectations aren't unrealistic, and I am not needy, but D-A-N-G.  I certainly know how how to pick them.

On the bright side, there won't be any rushing into anything. Things will have to take their very slow course, or not. That IS a good thing in my world. I am cautious and don't want to fall for BAD guys.   I have lots of thoughts about the WRONG guys, but it's so hard to find the RIGHT ones. http://divorcedmoms.com/articles/bad-boys-bad-boys-five-types-to-say-no-to I don't want to bring guys into my house, or into my life that won't be around for a long term.

Still, in spite of the caution, I am a romantic at heart. There's a part of me that would like to get flowers or feel special. Hoping everyone has a good valentine's day! Even if you avoid the crowds- wishing you a nice evening with wine, flowers and candles. Who needs to go out?


Tracy Shevlin
twitter: @nvalady1
gmail: nvalady@gmail

No comments:

Post a Comment